Dishwasher repairs can cost you time and money but this appliance is one few homeowners can live without. It’s a convenience many of us rely upon. The list below helps troubleshoot popular problems and what you can do.
When problems do come up it’s helpful to review the service manual of your model as well.
Problem: Buttons don’t work or console not lighting up.
Solution: Unplug the dishwasher.
- Open it and remove the ribbon cable connected to keypad. The cable is on the control board.
- Check for any cracks in the ribbon cable.
- Gently clean the connector on the control board with an electronics contact cleaner.
- Reconnect everything once cleaner has dried to see if that corrects the problem.
Problem: Dishwasher doesn’t start.
Solution: A few different things could cause this problem.
- Door is not latched. If door isn’t latched the switch that powers the dishwasher controls will not work. The switch is at the top of the dishwasher door.
- Selector switch – the part that allows you to choose washing or drying. It’s located on your control panel and could be stuck between settings.
- The thermal fuse burned out. A thermal fuse is a safety device. Its shuts down dishwasher components to prevent further damage from overheating. Turn off the power, open the dishwasher door and access the control board. Use a multi-meter to check the attached wires for continuity. If it’s burned out it needs replacing.
Dishwasher repair can be as easy as cleaning your filter or spray arm.
Problem: Dishwasher makes weird noises.
Solution: Depends on the type of noise you hear…
- Rattling from dishes. Run dishwasher on a full load to lessen this noise.
- Check the kickplate is installed and insulated. It’s the decorative piece covering the bottom opening of your dishwasher. If it’s not in place or insulated, you’ll hear more noise.
- Dishwasher may be out of balance. Adjust the feet to correct this problem.
- Grinding noises usually occur because of the filter. Clean it and when returning the filter to its location rotate it until it’s secured in place.
Problem: Dishes are dirty.
Solution: Check the spray arm. Take it out and clean it. Clean the base as well where grease and debris collect. The holes in the spray arm should be clear of any clogs.
- Load the dishwater so water gets into all the dishes. Scrape food off pates before loading so the filter doesn’t get dirty.
- Use the proper dishwasher detergent for your model with a rinsing agent if your water is hard. Rinsing agents reduce water spots.
Problem: Dishwasher not drying dishes.
Solution: Check the high-limit thermostat. If it isn’t working it shuts off the heat before dishes dry. It’s at the bottom of the dishwasher behind the access panel. Use a multi-meter to determine if it’s functioning.
If repairs are frustrating you, we can help. Call us at (781) 953-9600 for dishwasher repairs or visit us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CSApplianceService/ .