We take many things in life for granted, this includes our appliances, especially our refrigerator. It keeps our food cold and stores those favorite drinks and holiday dinners. So, when it breaks down we are left with chaos. You can avoid those costly and untimely breakdowns by regularly maintaining your refrigerator and caring for your fridge.
Importance of Regular Maintenance
There are several reasons why you should regularly maintain your fridge. First, it saves money. Think about it for a second. If your fridge breaks down, you lose hundreds of dollars’ worth of groceries on top of the fact that if the damage is bad enough, having to replace the fridge itself. Next, regular maintenance allows you to catch a problem before it starts or becomes worse beyond repair. Finally, you can extend the life of your fridge saving you tons of money in the long run. No one likes shopping for appliances, so do yourself a favor and schedule regular maintenance checkups for your fridge today.
Signs of Trouble with Your Fridge
There are many warning signs that your fridge is on the fritz, you just must know what to look for. Knowing these signs allows you to fix a problem before it ruins your day. Look for things such as:
- Condensation This is usually a sign that your fridge is not cooling properly. If you see condensation forming in or around the refrigerator you should schedule maintenance to prevent food from spoiling.
- Overheating motor Excessive heat from motor means the fridge is working harder than it should be, ultimately costing you hundreds of dollars in your utility bill.
- Spoiled food This is food that is consistently spoiling while still in date. This is a good indication that your fridge is not maintaining a constant temperature required for keeping food fresh.
- A freezer that Ices over Sure a little ice on the walls of your freezer is okay, but if there is more ice than space for food you have a serious issue on your hands, not to mention food that is likely freezer burned.
- A Freezer that doesn’t freeze, After all, this is the main point of having a freezer. If your food isn’t freezing, you don’t just have extra fridge space, you have a problem with the units cooling system that needs to be resolved quickly.
- Areas inside the fridge that are colder than others, For example, the top shelf is frozen, but the bottom of the fridge is warm or vice versa. This could happen for several reasons and warrants a call to have your fridge serviced.
D.I.Y Maintenance for Your Refrigerator
As mentioned above, there are a handful of things you can do yourself to not only maintain your fridge but to also help you catch a problem before it starts or becomes too bad to repair. These things include:
- Set the right temperature
- Ensure the door seals tightly
- Clean the inside and outside of the fridge regularly (Keep your fridge on regular cleaning schedule)
- Keep condenser coils and cooler fan clean
- Keep it full
- Defrost freezer
Do you live in the Greater Boston or Boston North area? Count on CS Appliance Service for your kitchen appliance repair needs! Our experienced technicians are here to assist you in quickly determining the problem as well as best, most cost-effective solution to your repair needs. Call us at (781) 953-9600 to schedule a service call, or visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CSApplianceService/